How to Pack a Book Box
With Moving Tip Number three Brothers Moving & Storage will give you some great tips on what and how to pack a small/book box for moving. This tip will provide you with some great packing advice on packing a certain type of box. The book box is a very versatile box and can be used to pack more that just books. Brothers Moving & Storage sells all different types of packing material and moving boxes for your move. You can visit our website or call us at 414-815-6683 to buy material needed for your move. With moving tip number three Brothers Moving & Storage will provide some good information on packing a certain box. With moving tip number three I am going to focus on how to pack your books correctly to make sure they get to your new home safely.
Packing your Own Box
Packing is a crucial part of your move. An organized and planned packing process will allow you to start your new life at your location quickly and easily. Brothers Moving & Storage have come up with some important tips in order for you to create a smooth packing process for your move.
- If you plan to do your own packing, start well in advance of moving day by packing the out of season items and items not being used daily. This avoids last minute rushing which causes stress and/or to forget other important details.
- Boxes should not exceed 50 lbs.
- A good packing rule: the smaller the box, the heavier contents can be, thus the larger the box the lighter the contents.
- Always have a parts box for screws, bolts, remotes, etc. and label them so they are easy to find at destination.
- When marking boxes, we suggest you mark contents and new location/room to be placed at destination-both on the top and on the side for easy identification.
- Mark fragile boxes as such.
- When marking up boxes, make sure to run tape in both directions perpendicular on the bottom and do the same on top when sealing the box.
- Make sure fragile items are cushioned on top and bottom and wrapped safely.
- Be generous with the cushioning material. NOTE: having less empty space in a box will help prevent damage.
- Don’t use printed newspaper as wrapping. The ink can transfer onto your belongings.
What to Pack in a Book Box
A book box is the smallest of moving boxes and is mainly used for packing books, magazines, desk drawers, papers and smaller heavier items. When packing these items you want to make sure that you always put a piece of packing paper in the bottom of the box. You want to make sure to place all of your books on edge in the box, alternating bound edges. Make sure to use crumpled up paper to fill in any gaps in the box. When you are finished use paper at the top of the box and make sure that you can’t push the box down. If you can push the box in, crumple up some paper to fill in the air. You want to make sure to tape the top and bottoms of all of your boxes, if you just fold them in the weight of the books will not make the box sturdy. Last thing to do is to make sure that you label the box correctly. You want to label the sides(not the top) of the boxes so when the movers are bringing the boxes into your new home they know which room they go in.
What to Keep
When packing your book box for your move, this is a great time to also evaluate your book collection. Before you begin packing take some time and really go through your books. Moving is a great time to de-clutter and get rid of the items that you no longer need. The books that you may feel that you no longer need can be donated to charity and this will give many other people the opportunity to read great books as well.
Brothers Moving & Storage is a Waukesha, WI based local family owned moving company. This moving tip number three is just one of many different tips that we will be offering every Friday. If you have any questions, comments or have a specific tip you would like to see please call us at 414-815-6683.